Thompson & Litton is founded by William A. Thompson and John W. Litton in Wise, Virginia. The company’s first projects serviced the booming coal industry of Southwestern Virginia.
… A Decade of “First’s”
- First ARC (Appalachian Regional Commission) grant in the nation for the Town of Appalachia, Virginia Wastewater Treatment Plant
- One the first four construction projects funding under the new Farmers Home Administration’s Community Facilities Program (now USDA Rural Development) at Thomas Bridge, Virginia
- First self-priming sewage pump for municipal use in the Commonwealth (Chilhowie, Virginia)
- First approved aerated lagoon system for a Virginia community (Fairlawn, Virginia)
- First modular, prefabricated, upflow water treatment system for a Virginia municipality (Wise, Virginia)
First sewage treatment lagoon approved by the Commonwealth of Virginia for an entire municipality in Coeburn, Virginia.
T&L designs Virginia’s first water treatment plant in Southwest Virginia capable of high-rate filtration within months of the new design technology becoming available to the public.
Lonesome Pine Airport (Wise County, Virginia), T&L’s first airport project, is completed.
Thompson & Litton begins to reinvent itself and the community with the transition of ownership to a new generation and new technological advances in engineering and architecture.
Architectural practice is added to T&L’s already wide-range of design services.
T&L Tazewell office opens.
T&L Bristol office opens.
- T&L receives VDOT National Quality Initiative Award for the US Route 23 Powell Valley Highway.
- T&L Radford office opens.
T&L is the recipient of the Blue Ridge AIA Honorable Mention Award for the Adaptive Reuse of the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Virginia.
Surveying practice is added to portfolio of services with the addition of the Clintwood, Virginia office.
T&L is the recipient of the 2003 Blue Ridge AIA Honorable Mention in Architecture Award for the Montgomery County Government Center.
- T&L celebrates golden anniversary of providing 50 years of Integrity, Insight, and Innovation.
- ACEC of Virginia Engineering Excellence Award recipient for the Historic East Chilhowie Street Bridge in Smyth County, Virginia.
ACEC of Virginia Engineering Excellence Award recipient for the Southwest Virginia Regional Wastewater Study.
T&L is named recipient of ACEC of Virginia Engineering Excellence Award for the Pocahontas State Correctional Center and related infrastructure project.
- T&L opens new office in Chilhowie, Virginia and adds Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing design to portfolio of Building Design services.
In September 2010, Thompson & Litton was named as a finalist for the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business Tayloe Murphy Resilience Award. This prestigious honor is a statewide competition targeting strong, resilient businesses located in communities facing tough economic conditions. Against the odds, these businesses and their leaders have been providing jobs and offering community support while facing challenges that would have made less enterprising leaders give up.
Since 1956, Thompson & Litton continually reinvented itself in times of economic hardship to better meet the needs of their employees and the community as a whole. T&L is honored to have been recognized by the University and the award committee for their committment to the better built environment and to Western Virginia.
Thompson & Litton was recognized as the Architect of Record with a 2011 Richmond AIA Award of Merit in association with Architect HKS for the Virginia Commonwealth University Dental Clinic to be located in Wise County, Virginia.